Perseid Meteor Shower 2010– viewed from my home, one aspect of my sky view.
Cassiopeia ( top right) - Perseus (Middle) - Capella ( lower left ) in Auriga and as many stars as I could see in between.
53.2000°N, 6.1000°W Bray Co Wicklow Ireland Bortle Dark Scale 4
A composite sketch created between July 28th and August 10th in mixed conditions from my garden. One observation from Sligo, similar conditions.
My town street lights are partly screened by tall trees , the view to the N / NE and over head was dark. The Double Cluster was visible naked eye and M 31 visible with averted gaze. The Milky Way had visible knotted areas overhead on August 9th and 10th , unusual for Bray.
Some stars are sketched brighter than they appear to stand out for the photograph of the sketch
which was too big to scan. I was sitting in my garden looking up over my pergola. On part cloudy
evenings , I put several chairs around the garden and moved to view different areas of the sky
the clear sections appeared. Each hour on the hour I took a break for tea , kept the lights off in
the house to try to keep my dark adaption.
The meteors are as close to what I saw in length and colour as is possible.
There is a lot to learn about meteor observing click here for more information
Sketch is done using , Pastel ,Conte and a White Gel Pen on Black Mounting Board
Here is a key to the sketch
1. July 28th – 00:00 UT White Mag 1 Mostly Cloudy few clear patches
2. July 29th - 23:05 UT Red Mag 2 Part Cloud
3. July 29th - 23 :15 UT Red Mag 2 Part Cloud
4. July 29th - 23 :25 UT Red Mag 2 Part Cloud
5. August 1st 23:20 UT Blue Mag 1 Part Cloud Sligo 54.267 -8.483
6. August 9th 21:50 UT White Mag 2 Clear
7. August 9thth 23:31 UT White Mag 2 Clear
8. August 9thth 23:10 UT White Mag 1 Clear
9. August 9thth 23:15 UT White Mag 1 Clear
10. August 9th 23:40 UT White Mag 2 Clear
11. August 9th 23:35 UT Yellow Mag 2 Clear
12. August 10th 00 :30 UT Yellow Mag 1 Clear
13. August 10th 01:00 UT White Mag 2 Clear
14. August 10th 01:24 UT White Mag 1 Clear
15. August 10th 21:50 UT White Mag 3 Clear
16. August 10th 21: 53 UT White Mag 3 Clear
17. August 10th 22:10 UT White Mag 0 Clear
18. August 10th 22:40 UT White Mag 1 Clear
19. August 10th 23:04 UT White Mag 1 Clear
20. August 10th 23:55 UT White Mag 1 Clear
August 11th 53.2000°N, 6.1000°W 23:25 UT - 00:25:UT Perseids 11
August 10th 21:45 UT - 00:00 UT Perseids 15, Satellites 10,
Iridium Flare 1 @ Mag -3 WSW , Double Cluster, 8 Moths, 4 Birds, naked eye. :-)
August 9th/10th between 21:45 UT - 01:25 UT I observed 22 Perseids 3 sporadics , 14
satelites, I galaxy,Double Cluster,1 Chinese Lantern ,1 bird, naked eye :-)
So stop watching TV ,go out and look up this weekend
If you are a Twitter person you can see a bigger version of the sketch here